Philbrook History + Collections
In 1926 Edward Buehler Delk (1885–1956), a Kansas City architect, was hired to design an Italian Renaissance villa on 25 acres by oilman Waite Phillips. This impressive home was completed in 1927. In 1938 Waite Phillips surprised Tulsans with the announcement of his gift of the 72-room mansion and surrounding 23 acres of grounds as an art center for the city of Tulsa.
What began as an unprecedented gift to the community of Tulsa by the Phillips family continues today through the generosity of Philbrook Members and donors.